Director 11 announced, a quick overview !
21 February , 2008Posted by on
Yes, you heard it good, today Director 11 is announced by Adobe Systems at the Game Developer Conference in San Francisco. Director 11 let you create and publish interactive games, demos, prototypes, simulations, and e-learning courses.
Let’s have a quick look at Director 11 :
– Support for 40+ video, audio and image file formats
– Support for authoring and playback on Mac, Windows and Shockwave player
– Complementary to Flash CS3 Professional : you can use Director to combine a variety of content including bitmap images, vector artworks, audio, animation, native 3D rendering, text, hypertext and video.
– Extensible authoring and playback environment with Xtra plug-ins
In director, for game developers it will be easy to move quickly from concept to game-play with advances in Director, Shockwave, Flash, Photoshop and other Adobe products.
Seems like Adobe is targeting on three core markets:
- Multimedia authors : Multimedia authors create interactive demo’s prototypes and other applications that integrate virtually any popular audio, video or image file format. Content is authored ones and published.
- eLearning content and application authors : eLearning authors create educational, training and simulation applications for K-12, higher education, corporate etc. Applications range from on-the-job training in an immersive 3D world to interactive learning of science, math, history and other subjects.
- Game Developers : game developers select Director to easily orchestrate content developed in a variety of formats including animations and video created in Flash and 3D worlds. Shockwave Player enables real time, native 3D game play.
This is a screenshot of a game made in Director by Maid Marian Entertainment:
Summary : Director 11 Features
- Support for DirectX 9.
- Integration of AEGIA PhysX engine
- Support for Flash 9 and video created with Flash
- Support for Unicode, Sharper Text, and Bitmap Filters
- Support for 40+ video, audio and image file formats
- Easy cross platform projector publishing for MAC and PC
- Easy multi-version output
- Compatible with Adobe products including Photoshop, Flash, and the entire Creative Suite 3 family of products
I am really enthusiast that finally there is a new Director !! I can’t wait to start writing lingo again but I have to say that it would be much cooler if I could just write Actionscript in Director in stead of writing Actionscript in Flash and embed that Flash movie in Director … makes the flow a bit more consequent… 😉