APOLLO PUBLIC ALPHA 1 RELEASED ON LABS
19 March , 2007Posted by on
In the alpha built some functionality is already included like :
- Mac en Windows support
- Application installation
- File I/O API
- Windowing API (not complete)
- HTML within Flash content
- Flex framework support
- Application icons
What Apollo aims to do
The last years Rich Internet Applications are moved more and more toward desktop like application experiences in the browser. Today the web is a real application development platform that gives us the possibilities to target multiple platforms and operating systems, use relatively high-level programming languages and let users access their applications and data from virtually any Internet connected computer.
But when you deliver those applications via the browser there are some problems:
- the browser capabilities / usability of the application (orginally made to deliver and display HTML based documents)
- applications deployed via the browser have there own user interface which often conflicts with the interface of the browser.
- web security model ==> no access to user machine or no interaction possible with other applications on the user’s computer.
- web applications are delivered from a server ==> primarily online experience / no consistent development model.
- differences in browser functionality and APIs.(browser specific code needed).
So that’s where Apollo comes in: a platform that offers the reach and development model of the browser while providing the functionality and richess of a desktop application !
Have fun playing with Apollo 🙂